October 21, 2006

Birthday Blessings


Hallelujiah and Happy Birthday to my baby boy! Birthday's are special days for everyone. But somehow, with Seth, they are bittersweet. Mostly because, as his mama, I am reminded of his birth. While it was the most wonderful day of my life because it was the beginning of his, it was a scary day. I have so many memories of those first few months of life. Many beautiful memories. Many painful memories.
I watched my nephew turn one year old this summer. It was a wonderful party full of friends and family. At the end, Patrick had put together a dvd of David's first year. It was absolutely beautiful. But as I watched, I began thinking about Seth's first year. It was far from normal. It was a hard and anxiety-filled time. Checking oxygen. Feeding with tubes and syringes, not bottles. Physical therapy. Feeding specialists. Pulse oximeters. Gauze and tape.
But as I write, although I am saddened by the memories of these things, I am overcome with joy looking at him now. He is by no means a normal child. No, he is extraordinary. His joy is unsurpassed. Everything is more fun, more exciting, more happy because of where he has been. He has no memory of much of what he has been through, but it has shaped him. He is delighted with even the smallest things. Going to church. Visiting the park. Playing with other children. Eating ice cream. Life is full of wonder for him. And he teaches me to stop and enjoy it. Thank you, Father God, for another year with my baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home